Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Valiente

Along the sidewalk I stride,
Passing me, a biker rides,
His powerful muscle propels his slender, streamlined vehicle along
His legs pedal to the beat of a competitor's song
All I can think of is you and your spirited love for that bike
Yes, I am sure it was love and not just a strong like
The bike was an extension of your physicality, it brought you freedom
And, I thought, never-ending vitality,
As you pedaled along on one of your last great marathons,
You felt it, I know you did
That burning pain that crept through your lungs, arms, and legs
But this was the lifeblood that ran through your veins
Quitting was not in your vocabulary
So it was only fitting that you finish this last great race
And I wonder when my mind begins to bring back your face
Along with thoughts of courage and determination
I wonder if in a simple act of propitiation
In order to appease your tireless soul
Your brain gathered up one last scene from the memory bowl
As doctor and nurse scuttled all around you
Your soul saw a completely different view
You stood with your bike, handlebars gripped tight
As you watched the slowly descending night,
The beauty of nature all surrounding
You felt your heart, within you, it was pounding
And as you prepared to leap back on your bike
A smile crept up on your face
A smile that was begging for that last great race.

No comments:

Post a Comment