Sunday, March 22, 2009

Gone But Not Forgotten





I created you with only ink and paper,
You were just a lovely fragment of a memory gone by,
A captured entity of my mind's eye, everywhere I went,
I felt your calming presence,
Overwhelming essence, your wondrous image,
A fractal portrait projected and burned on my soul's screen,
A vision like I had never before seen,
Your inexplicable beauty, stalker of all my thoughts,
So you see, I had to do it, you had to be,
I put my pen to the page,
Became like a renaissance sage,
Described in painstaking detail,
I let my mind set full sail, resurrected your memory from the grave,
I revived your life-stream, for once, death was staved,
As I began to re-create you from cognitive recollection,
My senses drifted through that hellish intersection,
The horrifying night when you were stolen from me,
Though I remember, you left so gracefully.
Tears streamed from my eyes, as you looked up at me,
Smiled, and whispered, my side, you would not leave,
You were not speaking just to be heard,
Your speech was not slurred, and I knew,
Though it seemed impossible, you meant every last word.
Your eyes locked with mine,
As you painfully exhaled one last time,
I watched your soul fade from your tired gaze as the sun does at dusk,
And from that moment on I was haunted,
Tormented by the same sight,
That had for so long been the light, the lantern that lit my path,
The cool breeze that calmed my fiery wrath,
You held me up when I started to fall,
You were the foundation of my heart's inner wall,
A siren, intoxicating my subconscious with a ballad of seduction,
An anthem that fueled my soul's abduction.
You may no longer walk with me on the shores of this old earth,
But through my dreams, I will perpetually witness your rebirth.
When I sleep, I awaken,
To a land where I am no longer forsaken,
You await in a quiet, sun-drenched meadow with arms open wide,
I sit joyously by your side, in you, I am free to confide.
As my pen traverses the bounds of this blank landscape,
I contemplate, the wondrous atrocity of our fateful first meeting,
For that was the day that my heart started beating.
Goodnight my love, may I soon join you, among stars above.

1 comment:

  1. I can really feel you here... The story is so sad, but I specifically like the last parts of the poem... Especially the ending line.

    ReplyDelete