Friday, March 27, 2009

BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!!!

This is normally just a forum for my poetry, but I feel like today warrants special attention. In an NCAA tournament where I am used to my Wildcats disappointing me, I am finally on the other end of the equation. My Cats came in this tournament as a twelve seed and to be honest I was just glad they made it to the field of sixty four. They upset Utah, which I honestly didn't think was a very big deal. Then a strange thing happened in the tournament. Cleveland State easily dispatched a seemingly powerful Wake Forest team. The Wildcats would be matched up with Cleveland State in the round of thirty two. The Cats took down the Vikings with ease and suddenly a team that supposedly didn't deserve to be in the tournament would be playing in the sweet sixteen. The reason I am posting this as a blog is all of the nostalgia this tournament has brought. I started remembering all of the great times I have had with my grandparents out in Tucson. Due to my grandpa's position, I have had the unique privilege of meeting some great players such as Richard Jefferson, Gilbert Arenas, Luke Walton, etc... Whether or not Arizona is able to pull a huge upset of Louisville tonight I will continue loving my Cats. Through my years as a fan, I have laughed, cried, screamed, thrown things, been enraged. But this year I have experienced a different emotion. I feel relieved. Relieved that we have found a way into the tournament, relieved that the Cats have a chance to advance, relieved that after all of the drama that has surrounded the program we still stand as elite. Most of all, I am relieved that tonight we have a chance to upend a Louisville program that has been picked by many to win the national championship. We are the underdog this time and you know what? I like being the underdog for a change. Bear down Arizona, Bear down red and blue...

No comments:

Post a Comment