Sunday, May 10, 2009

No Regrets

What a way to spend your life! In a nation that places full emphasis on its economy and monetary well being, is it really a surprise that most Americans see money as the #1 solution? We all have an inherent gift that is given to us and not using that gift is, in my eyes, a crime. So, for all of you who are not happy with your major, job, school, etc., remember that life does not wait for those slow to action. Inherit the gift that has been given to you! Live with NO REGRETS.

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!

Wake up, says my impatient alarm,

O what a way he has, such wonderful charm,

My head begins to pound,

As I listen to that putrid, relentless sound,

I sit up in my all too comfortable bed and already,

I am seeing red,

Every morning is the same,

A knockout punch of déjà vu,

Nothing in my life brings promise of new,

When you get a whiff of my routine you will see what I mean.

Wake up at dawn,

No time to yawn,

Stumble into the shower,

Beneath its pounding assault I cower,

Pat myself dry,

No chance to bat an eye,

Reluctantly don my suit, what do you know?

Yesterday, I spilled fruit!

Try it again,

This time I win,

Jump into my car, phew,

It barely starts, drive into the city,

Avoid that ditch of self-pity.

Hi Jack!

I wish I had a sack,to place over my head,

So I could get past Fred…Fred!

How are you? O, you bought a Corvette?

What a surprise, its brand new!

Sure, I can keep walking,

While you continue talking, there is nothing I’d rather do then sit and listen to you,

Talk about your life, and your amazing wife,

O, and who can forget your tiny treasures,

Your children that bring you such great pleasure.

I sure can’t, pictures of those little kids are practically engraved under my burning eyelids!

As you stand and blatantly brag,

Making me wish I had a chloroform rag,

To knock you out,

My mind begins its own bout,

With a certain thought of all that life has brought,

Onto my doorstep.

How did I land here, in this boring place,

How did I become apart of this monotonous race,

The same race that I promised to never run,

No, I am not having any fun,

Life’s sweet smells are nothing more than rotten stench,

An aroma that continues to induce a horrible flinch.

A flinch of my spirit,

That can no longer bare it,

Bare this same sounding drone,

This same base moan,

Lunges from my throat,

As I realize I missed the life boat,

Now I am stuck on misery island, here with guys like Fred,

Those citizens of humanity that I will always dread,

What seems like four days later I finally escape his nuclear mouth,

But from there things only go further south,

“Those reports should have been on my desk yesterday!”

Yells my enraged boss over my shoulder,

I wish for only one thing, that item is a boulder,

A large monolith to fall and crush that devil,

That always seems to revel in every single shortcoming,

I have finally made it to lunch,

But I am still under time’s vicious crunch,

As I sit and choke down my processed heart attack,

I begin to think back,

To times of ease,

When there were so few to please,

Back when thank you and yes sir were enough to get by,

Back to my younger days when I knew I could fly,

Now I stare at that old clock,

That continues to tick and tock,

When life was good he moved too fast,

But when days were rough his time barely passed,

Lunch is over and its back to my prison cell,

Where for the rest of the day I will dwell.

I turn on my computer and open a new report,

But all the numbers and figures my mind can not sort,

This leech duty has sucked away at my tired brain,

And continued to drain, away at all of life’s excitement,

Locking my spirit in solitary confinement,

Now its a battle ‘til the end of the day,

O, please end, please end, I pray,

Somehow I manage to make it through with little damage,

Finding myself in bed at night,

Laying underneath my glowing bedside light,

Thinking about tomorrow’s vicious fight,

I think back to all the plans I had,

Where there was no such thing as drab,

Only bright, vivacious color that spilled into every nook and cranny,

To whoever reads this letter, I offer it as a caution,

An awakening, a call-to-arms, my life’s testament,

Let it act as an alarm,

Though your plans in life may be hindered,

Though your path to greatness may be war-torn,

Though the soles of your shoes may be worn,

And through self-doubt you are beset,

Live your life with NO REGRETS.

1 comment:

  1. Yes yes! I remember this one! I like it! Great illustration of most people's lives. :p

    ReplyDelete